Tuesday, November 27

We're home, our sad & proud departure....

We're home from a week long visit with my parents in Mission (my hometown) which is in the Rio Grande Valley - deep South Texas.
-

I love visiting my parents but it's really good to be back home in Dallas. Although we spent a week down there, it seems like our time there is always on fast forward because I blink and it's over.

Our departures are always filled with tears but this one was a little different. Since we were unusually extra extra early for our departure flight out, we hung out in the waiting area before saying goodbye and taking the long ride up the escalator to go through security and on to our gate.
-
The waiting area at the Valley International Airport in Harlingen is huge atrium with a gigantic Spanish style fountain that is about two stories tall right in the center. There is a gift shop and restaurant and lots of seats all around. The gates and security area are upstairs and look out to the gorgeous atrium area.
-
I noticed when we got there, that there were quite a few people... more than usual. Then I noticed a reporter and camera crew from one of the local television stations. I figured someone famous was arriving but didn't think much about it. As we sat and waited, I noticed there were lots of American flags and some veterans. Then we were approached by a veteran asking if we were waiting for a soldier.
-
All the people in the waiting area were friends and families of the soldiers arriving from Iraq. As soon as the arrival announcement happened, more people poured into the waiting area. Men and women from among the crowd (veterans- including my father) cut through the crowd and took their unspecified places at the front of the steps. After a moment, we were able to get a glimpse of the soldiers making their way to the escalators. The crowd started cheering and clapping as the group of 15 or so soldiers made their way down the escalator. It was nonstop clapping and cheering for several minutes, the veterans saluted all the soldiers and the clapping continued and continued.
-
My hands hurt from clapping and my heart felt proud just to have had the opportunity to be there. It really felt good! And then reality hit, our time was up and in what seemed to be a blinking moment it was time to say goodbye to my parents and make our way upstairs to our gate. I hate goodbyes but this was a neat hello even though I didn't know anyone.
-
Thanks for reading this far and letting me share the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Martha, WOW, what a story! That must have been somethin' else to witness first-hand! Thanks for sharing this touching story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice story! I found your blog through Others Online! I love stamping!

    It was sorta hard to leave you a comment. I've used blogger since 2002. If you need help let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: