Friday, July 5

Fabric Basket Swap MMQG

A Modern Quilt Guild just started in McKinney.  When we met in June, we exchanged bags of fabric for a fabric basket swap. 

This is what I received....

Holy cow was that ALOT of different fabric strips and one half yard of pink solid.  Gulp!

I decided I would use as many of the strips as I could and make the basket itself pink.  I tried piecing the strips together several different ways until I decided 2" strips diagonally worked best.  Here are the strips pieced together. 

I trimmed the strip to 1.5" and top stitched it all around the bag.  There are 16 different fabrics all the way around.  I was originally going to have the top edge fold down but decided to embroider the recipient's name on it and just top stitch a decorative stitch around the top. 

This is how the basket turned out.
 
 
I decided to make a few things to fill the basket.  First a wonky pieced pin cushion.  Instead of leaving the seams plain, I top stitched a decorative stitch that looked like beads and added a big B to the center panel.  I think this turned out pretty cute.


The next thing I made was a crisscross tissue holder.  I didn't have enough of all of the fabrics so I pieced strips together to make it work... the inside is "lined" with different fabrics. 

The last item I made was a zipper pouch.  If you follow my blog you know I have made many of these.  This is actually the first one I make in a solid color. 

This is a college of everything I made for BettePat. 

I was not at the meeting because I was in Kauai but here's a picture of BettePat when she received it. 



This swap was so much fun, I look forward to more of these opportunities.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: