Monday, February 28

Girl Scout Cookie Bag


Last month I came across some Girl Scout fabric by Robert Kaufman Fabrics and just had to buy some to make Micaela "something". Micaela became a Girl Scout this past fall and when I bought the fabric cookie selling season was about to begin.

After much thought (and deliberation), I decided to make her a bag so that when she went out to make "deliveries", she would be carrying the cookies in something cute. My first thought was a tablecloth for when the troop does sales in front of stores but at $10 a yard, I decided a bag would be much better use of the fabric.
So here is the bag... Ta Da!!!! I pretty much made it freehand without a pattern (don't recommend that).

First, I added fusible fleece to the back of the fabric and machine quilted horizontal lines, I wish I could say they are straight but you can certainly 'see' that they are NOT....lol. I had to embroider it 'somewhere' and since embroidery wouldn't really show up on such a busy pattern I decided to applique a square then do an appliqued M and name on top. The square is from GGDesigns in Australia, the M is a font from Planet Applique and the font on the name is by AKDesigns.
I made the bag gussetted by adding a brown gingham coordinating fabric to allow enough space to carry 7-8 boxes standing up.

I lined the bag in the same green gingham from the applique square and added velcro for easy closing and opening. I made the strap long and wide so it would be comfortable across the chest. I used the embroidery function on my new Janome machine to add a little personalization. Hopefully Micaela will stay in Girl Scouts for a long time and she can use this bag for delivering cookies many years to come. Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute bag and lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute tote, Martha! Thanks for sharing! I used to live in Plano...sure do miss Texas!! I'll check back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this.

    I was the cookie coordinator in my Canadian Girl Guide area for years and I sure wish we had some great fabric like this available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful! A lot of love went into that!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: