Sunday, March 2

Airplane Baby Shower Favors

As mentioned before, the "Daddy to be" is a pilot with a major airline. I used the little airplane from the Toy Box stamp set on the invitations. You can see the invitations on this post.
.
I made these little airplane favors to match.
.


Aren't these stinkin' cute!


Here they all are before take off! The airplanes were a HUGE HIT with everyone. I made 30-something of these little babies and let me tell you, these are very time consuming.

From what I understand, the original idea of using two Lifesavers, one roll of Smarties, a stick of gum and a rubberband to make these little airplanes came from Nichole Heady, it was featured in Paper Crafts magazine. (I am going to try to find out which issue for everyone's reference.)
.
I took that idea and added patterned paper, the propeller and the "sign" on the tail of the plane.
.
Here's a step by step how to:


  • Before I could start the wings, I had to tape the foil wrapper down with some transparent tape because the foil was just too loose once the stick of gum was out of the package.
  • After doing that, I was able to cover the sticks of gum with patterned paper.
  • Before covering the smarties I taped down one end of the wrapper so I could later add the propeller.
  • I covered the rolls of Smarties with trimmed down 2x4 shipping labels that I printed with the polka dot pattern on the computer because I did not have the right green/pattern in my patterned paper stash (hard to believe considering the size of the stash). Using adhesive labels saved me the step of adding adhesive myself.
  • I used some rubberbands/hairbands to hold everything together. First, pierced holes in the cellophane of the Lifesavers, strung the rubberband through and then inserted the wings through the loops and added the Smarties roll between the Lifesavers.
  • I made the propellers using SU Certainly Celery card stock and the small flowers from the retired Spring Flower Punch by Stampin' Up! Used the 1/16 punch to add brad and a glue dot to adhere it to the Smarties. See close up picture:

  • The sign attached to the tail of the plane was made using White and Certainly Celery card stocks and the two Tag Punches by Stampin Up! The pink heart brad in the propeller and the pink heart eyelet in the sign were from my stash, luckily I had 30 of the same. I used the Crop A Dile to set the eyelets, it was super easy and allowed me to work quietly while the family slept since I did this after midnight when everyone was in bed. I printed the tag sentiment on the computer using the same software and colors as invitation. I used some 1/8 wide polka dot ribbon to attach the sign to the tail.

I found the idea originally on Nichole Heady's blog {Capture the Moment}. One of her readers "Barb Schram" made some little airplanes using Paper Trey's Limitless Labels stamp set for a contest. Barb received Honorable Mention but in my eyes the airplanes were the winners. You can see her airplanes by scrolling down to the second to the last picture.

2 comments:

  1. love these they are so cute...ive never seen single wraped life savers...Valita

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, they're stinkin' CUTE!!! I don't know if I've ever seen anything so cute! I bet everyone at the shower was in awe over them! Very clever, Martha!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: