Wednesday, April 2

Front Flower Bed Project

I've had a plan to expand our front yard flower bed for several years.  Finally this year I started.  This is progress over the last four months... from January, to February, to March and finally April 1st. 

While I really wanted to dig up everything and start over, I just don't have the time or want to make the expense so I decided to just add to the existing L shaped bed.

January: I outlined the fill in shape and started looking into removing all that grass from the roots.  The weather here has been so unpredictable that the good weekends I was busy and the weekends I had time for this the weather was horrible. 

February: I hired a landscape guy to start, he came and removed all the grass for me.  I thought I could take it from there.  It was bitterly cold that day.  Later on that month, I discovered a bag with about ten different varieties of daffodils I had not planted.  So in a moment of desperation, I planted them in the bed on Feb 22 because I had no where to put them.

March: I planted a few perennials in between the bulbs and decided I really wanted a stone border.  I also trimmed back the roses in the original L flower bed, removed 2 of 7 bushes and removed a lot of the "Mondo Grass"-- that had taken over the bed-- what a pain in the backside.  I've decided not to ever plant the stuff again. 

April:  On the 1st, I had my landscape guy come back and add the stone around the edge.  We also added a half yard of compost to amend the soil.  Now it's starting to look like something.  You'll be seeing lots of progress in the coming months...

No comments:

Post a Comment